Monday, February 18, 2013

Sad Day

I moved to Southern California in 1994.  I remember growing up in Philadelphia and the chants of "Beat LA".  Which basically meant, "beat the Lakers ....Please".  In 1983 I celebrated when the home town 76ers beat Magic and the Showtime Lakers.  But I remember thinking how great this team was, especially when they took care of the Celtics for us.

Two years after I moved to Southern California, the Lakers moved in another Philly guy, Kobe Bryant.  From that time on, I was sold, I became a home town fan again.  I was fortunate enough to meet Dr. Jerry Buss the Owner of the Lakers twice since I have been here.  Although the meetings were brief, I found him to be extremely generous of his time.  I was instantly in awe of the man and his accomplishments.

Today we lost a great man, and a great owner. 

The best comment so far today came from Magic Johnson in an interview with ESPN who said  "Dr. Buss loved the Lakers, he loved to play poker, he loved his women, I gotta say that ... and he loved winning for the fans of L.A....It wasn't for him. It was for the fans of L.A.".

 Thank you for the 5 Championships I got to see locally. Well done Dr. Buss...Well done.



No comments:

Post a Comment