Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Heatwave

I know it's hot on the East Coast this week, growing up in NJ I remember the summer heat but it is the humidity that kills you, or in NJ "idz da hoomiddidy dad kills yooz".   Anyway, it is hot out here on the West Coast as well.  We have had a rather hot summer.  One byproduct to the dry heat here in Southern California is the algae growth in the lakes, or in the case of today's photo, the reservoirs.

In Mission Viejo we have a reservoir, among other reasons for fire Helicopters to scoop from to put out the wildfires.  I am hoping I don't get to add that subject to the Photoblog this year.  The reservoir is called OSO Lake, the signs say reclaim water, but people actually boat and fish on it.  I can't believe they would, I mean what if the boat tipped and you fell in? I mean where exactly is that water reclaimed from!!!  I hear someone once caught a 3 eyed fish there...I am just saying.

Anyway with all the heat and the stillness of the water and the "abundance of nutrients" the algae is really multiplying.  Unfortunately, I took a photo of it at the end of the day after my install not before, because the sun blew out the colors a bit.  But a body of water should not be that green.(The right side of the photo gives you the idea of the color of the lake)



No comments:

Post a Comment